Neil,

> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON newsletter.* TO newsletter IDENTIFIED BY
'testPass';
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> I then tried to access the databse via the command-line client:
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u newsletter -ptestPass newsletter
> And I get this error:
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'newsletter@localhost' (Using
password:
> YES)

I don't know if you have any other entries in the mysql.user / mysql.db
tables. If so, there could be another entry for
'newsletter'@'something_else_but_not_%'.

Whatever the reason - it's always a good idea to specify user names the
"classical" MySQL way, i. e. 'user'@'machine', and not - as in most
other DBMS - only as 'user'. What the manual says about it, is: "The
simple form user is a synonym for user@"%"."

Details: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html

Regards,
--