We are hosting a high volume site that gets about 1 million page views a day
on RedHat 7.3.  We currently have 3 load balanced servers on the front end
accessing a MySQL server on the back end.  The MySQL servers is dual P3 1ghz
with 1 GB of RAM and when the MySQL queries hit about 50 per second, the DB
crashes and the servers is useless unless you reset the DB.  Memory is only
at about 50% usage, but the CPU skyrockets to 100%.

The only solution we can think of is to throw a huge server at the backend
(i.e. 4-8 processor Compaq 8500) and keep RH 7.3 or switch to Windows 2000
Advanced Server and cluster a few dual P3 servers together.

Any other solutions to make MySQL handle a high volume site?

CS