Rob,

> I'm not questioning what MySQL does, only how.  MySQL does not "act"
> without a request, so my question is (now), "How do you ask MySQL
> what the PRIMARY KEY of a table is?

SHOW KEYS FROM tbl

In an application, next thing you would do is check what the value of
'Key_name' is (which is the column name of the returned result set), and
if it is 'PRIMARY', then you have the PK.

I don't know how (ODBC) apps like MS Access would "ask" MySQL for a PK
column of a table, but MySQL must have a built-in mechanism to "answer"
such a question with something else but the value 'PRIMARY'.

Maybe some guru on the list has a more precise information?!

> P.S. I lived/worked in Berlin 1984-85 developing an RDBMS for
> Siemens on a joint project w. Intel.  It never reached the
> market.  Great City!!  I miss alt bier.

:-)

Regards,
--