On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 09:15, Zysman, Roiy wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm trying to insert multiple lines to a table with 3 col. All 3 of them
> are a part of the primary key.
> But while inserting the data , sometime occurs the situation where I
> want to insert an already exist entry with the same keys. And mysql
> barfs out that this key already exist in the table.
> The solution to it would be probably to query for each entry that I'm
> about to insert if that entry exists , but it looks like it would be an
> enormous overhead. I'm asking this question on a _performance_ context .
> What is the best way , ignore the error messages mysql barfs out or
> query each entry for existences before inserting it ?

If SQL is well optimized, then parsing of SQL commands is most time
consuming task and can't be well optimized. To avoid this you must
reduce number of SQL commands to SQL server.

This is why I suggest trying INSERT and check for result. Double queries
mean half speed.

Another way is of course using replicated copy where to run queries and
INSERT data on master.

  Tõnu