hi,

i have this problem that mysql doesn't want to start.

I am using:
Mandrake Linux 9.0
MySQL 3.23.52

when i start mysql with
[adriaan@megatron adriaan]# service mysql start

then mysqld dies and give me this error log:

--- start of megatron.darkrealm.net.err ---
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely
wrong
and this may fail

key_buffer_size=8388600
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=2097144
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 225791 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
Bogus stack limit or frame pointer, fp=0xbfffe128, stack_bottom=0x61642031,
thread_stack=65536, aborting backtrace.
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at 0x35323170  is invalid pointer
thd->thread_id=107

Successfully dumped variables, if you ran with --log, take a look at the
details of what thread 107 did to cause the crash.  In some cases of really
bad corruption, the values shown above may be invalid

The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/r/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash
030120 07:33:07  mysqld ended
--- end of megatron.darkrealm.net.err ---

This was not giving much information, and I searched for anything related to
this
but could find anyting.

I also tried one computer that was connected on this network, and got the
same error
and thought that something was wrong with the distro's RPMS, so I don't
loaded
the updated one for Mandrake 9.0, but with exactly the same results.

I also tried to run MySQL on my laptop which also runs Mandrake 9.0, and it
worked.
I have checked permissions, and run MySQL with --user=root on the server and
it worked, so it must
be permissions, but the laptops permissions is exactly the same as the
permissions on
the server.

The only diffrence between machines is that the laptop is not setup to be
authenticated
by the LDAP server which is also the server that I want to start MySQL on.

I setup my LDAP server according the document on the Mandrake secure site.

Here is my /etc/nsswitch.conf file:

--- start of nsswitch.conf ---
#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       nisplus or nis+         Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis or yp               Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       db                      Use the local database (.db) files
#       compat                  Use NIS on compat mode
#       hesiod                  Use Hesiod for user lookups
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files

netgroup:   nisplus

publickey:  nisplus

automount:  files nisplus
aliases:    files nisplus
--- end of nsswitch.conf ---

For the LDAP authentication I only changed these:
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

I did an experement and took out the ldap setting from the above so it only
showed:
passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

And guest what, MySQL started and was excepting connections.

Now I am stuck and don't where to look further.

I have no mysql user in LDAP directory, but the user exists in /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow.

Any suggestions as I am at a blank ?!?!?

Thanks,

Adriaan.