In my MySQL I have 3 tables like this and I have a pblm. in setting the foreign
key.Pls. help

EMPLOYEE_DETAILS
 EMP_ID - PK    int(10)
 EMP_FIRST_NAME    varchar(25)
 EMP_LAST_NAME    varchar(25)
 EMP_CURR_ADDR    varchar(100)
 EMP_PERM_ADDR    varchar(100)
 EMP_PHONE    varchar(20)
 EMP_DOJ     DATE
 EMP_DOB     DATE
 BACKGROUND    varchar(100)
 EMP_DEP     varchar(25)
 EMP_DESIG    varchar(25)

SKILL_MASTER
 SKILL_ID -PK   varchar(5)
 SKILL_DESCRIPTION   varchar(25)

EMPLOYEE_SKILL_DETAILS
 EMP_ID -FK(EMPLOYEE_DETAILS)---PK int(10)
 SKILL_ID -FK(SKILL_MASTER)---PK  varchar(5)
for a data structure of above I have the table creations like below:

create table employee_details(EMP_ID int(10) not null,EMP_FIRST_NAME varchar(25),
EMP_LAST_NAME varchar(25),EMP_CURR_ADDR varchar(100),EMP_PERM_ADDR
varchar(100),EMP_PHONE varchar(20),
EMP_DOJ DATE,EMP_DOB DATE,EMP_BACKGROUND varchar(100), EMP_DEP varchar(25),
EMP_DESIG varchar(25), primary key(EMP_ID));

create table skill_master(SKILL_ID varchar(5) not null, SKILL_DESCRIPTION varchar(25),
primary key(SKILL_ID));

create table employee_skill_details(EMP_ID int(10) not null references
employee_details(EMP_ID),
SKILL_ID varchar(5) not null references skill_master(SKILL_ID),primary
key(EMP_ID,SKILL_ID));

Now based on this I should not be able to add an element to employee_skill_details
table if the curresponding EMP_ID is not present in employee_details and SKILL_ID is
not present in skill_master, because I have set references for it.i.e. foreign key.
But still I am able to add data in employee_skill_details directly eventhough those
data is not present in the other two tables.

What is the problem?

Kerala's coolest community site ---> http://www.achayans.com

India's fastest growing Search Engine ->
http://www.indianindex.com

India's largest Online Matchmakers -->
http://www.indianalliance.com