Andrew,

> Good morning everyone

Thanks for your optimism. It's 5 o'clock in the afternoon, here in
Berlin ;)

> I tried the following in Windows; but stopped
> mysqldump after the resulting file exceeded 1GB:
> mysqldump -q -C -uusername -p"password" dbname >
> dbname.dmp

Well, Unix seems to be so much better in many ways as you can do
modularized things like

> mysqldump -q -uusername -p dbname | gzip -c >
> dbname.gz

But this won't help you too much. Here's how I solved the problem of
backing up my MySQL databases on a Win2K box at home to a Linux box in
my office. A mysqldump of all my databases will only produce about 50 MB
of SQL, so maybe this solution isn't suitable for you. On the other
hand, I have only 128 MBit upstream from my Win machine, and maybe you
will have a faster network connection. I use:

c:\mysql\bin> mysqldump --all-databases --add-drop-table > mysql -h
myoffice -u username -p

This will take some time, and it's most probably not the smartest thing
one could do, but it works nicely.

HTH,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>