Sergei Golubchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Because MyISAM always reads the record as a whole, it cannot read only
> selected fields.
>
> You can convert your table to InnoDB table type - as InnoDB *can* read
> only selected fields.
>
> Actually, it's useful optimization to store big, rarely selected fields
> in the separate table. This will also help to speed things up.
>
> Regards,
> Sergei
>
> --
> MySQL Development Team
>    __  ___     ___ ____  __
>   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  MySQL AB, http://www.mysql.com/
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  Osnabrueck, Germany
>        <___/

AAAhhhhhhh   This is orgasmic :-))

Using the MySQL CC I just changed the table type from MyISAM to InnoDB
re-issued the SQL Query....

Here is the result:

[TDD - DVD] 39 rows in set (0.02) sec

But the field had to be indexed... I tried the same command using Group by
Director and it was about 15 seconds again.. then I added a Index for
Director... and walla.... 0.02 seconds.  I can index the entire table if
necessary :-))

So the question is then... why is MyISAM the default table type ??

I guess it's the preferred table since it is the default talbe.... but Why ?

Using MyISAM it seems that all the tables are stored under a directory
reflecting the Database Name. which was nice..

Using InnoDB I now have 4 new files in the \MySql\Data\ directory... and of
course unable to tell which table it belong to reading the name of it.

Another question:  When I use "SELECT COUNT(ID) FROM DVD" I always get 320
records as the result.

But in MySQL CC when I Right-Click on the Table and Select "Refresh" the
field "Records" always changes and its incorrect..

--
Thomas Kvamme
[EMAIL PROTECTED]