Hi.

On Mon 2003-01-27 at 16:31:48 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If I manually shut down mysql, I usaully use the mysqladmin shutdown
> command. However, I noticed that the "red hat" way of stopping mysql in
> its init scripts is by issuing a "kill" command to the pid. Ummmm, is
> this wise? What about if the tables aren't written to disk?

kill only sends the process a request to terminate (in opposite to
kill -9 which kills it instantly). MySQL catches this, therefore it is
usually save to use kill this way. But mysqladmin is recommended,
because in opposite to kill it also works

- if you have no way to become root or the user MySQL is running
  under, but a database account with shutdown privilege,
- you are working from a remote computer or
- MySQL is running under Windows.

Whereas kill has the advantage that you don't have to

- have a database account handy or
- know about mysqladmin

(think admin vs. DBA: every admin knows kill and can expect that any
reasonable program written to run as daemon will react gracefully on
kill)

> Isn't the "proper" way to issue a "mysqladmin shutdown"?

As you see, both "kill" and "mysqladmin shutdown" have their
advantages.

So RedHat probably choses the way they do because they want to avoid
the hassle of assuring to have a database account with shutdown
privilege and password somewhere.

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--