dell 4100 256mb, 11gb hd, Redhat grub-linux
linux novice cannot resolve apache-php-mysql linkage.

local closed system (No modem, no www access, no internet)

I have tried to create a database of 7 tables with about 840mb
of data since the 20th of November 2002.  My own db handler (.cpp's)
will take years to code and test what the apache-php-mysql combo can do in
hours.
I've been able to load all mysql tables with about 30kb each of data as a
test.
I've made php test scripts and run them with apache server (local).
I have n-o-t been able to run apache-php-mysql as a single application.

About the 22nd of January, 2003, I started over with:
file:/usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.44.tar.gz
file:/usr/local/mysql-3.23.55.tar.gz
file:/usr/local/php-4.3.0.tar.gz

Using root, I entered the following commands:

for apache:

cd /usr/local/src
tar -xzvf httpd-2.0.44.tar.gz
cd httpd-2.0.44
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=so
make
make install

for mysql:

groupadd mysql
useradd -g mysql mysql
cd /usr/local
gunzip < mysql-3.23.55.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install
/scripts/mysql_install_db
chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/var
chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
cp support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf
/usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
mysql
quit;

for php:

cd /usr/local/
tar -xzvf php-4.3.0.tar.gz
cd php-4.3.0
./configure --with-php=/usr/local/php --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apx
make
make install

then changed "file:/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf"
ServerAdmin root@localhost
ServerName root@localhost:80

then added to "file:/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf"
LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
then
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
and file:/var/www/test1.php could not be found using the browser.
note that /var/www/test1.php is the only ?/www/? directory found.

changed ServerName root@localhost:80
to 127.0.0.1:80
then
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
and file:/var/www/test1.php could not be found using the browser.

any help or documentation pointers would be very
much appreciated.

I've installed RH at least 20 times, and will continue
to install until I can run my personal scripts to test
that apache-php-mysql are doing what I want. Any suggestion
that I should (re)install should include the specific platform
to be selected.

Thanks

dander

cut and paste of my version of test1.php

<head>
  <title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
  <?php echo "Hello World<p>";?>