Of course. Javascript is a client side scripting language and is run in the users browser, whereas PHP is run on the server. The javascript is just text to the PHP parser, like HTML.

Javascript will allow you to do dynamic stuff, but if you are looking for aesthetics you would be better off learning style sheets. CSS is much more efficient than javascript. You can actually simulate buttons, borders and lots of other stuff by just using CSS. And if you get good at CSS, you can even create themes for your website.

For instance, adding this simple code in the <HEAD> of your web page will cause links to change to a yellow background when the mouse is over the link.

a:hover {background-color: yellow};

That's a heck of a lot better than adding an onMouseOver event to every link.