I use version 2.

Christian Andersson wrote:

Hi there, I have a little question for you in the mysql community..

I was wondering how persons in this community handles changes to the
database when your application that uses the database needs some new
tables, columns, etc...

Do you have an application with a sort of upgrade functionallity that
when started checks the database for incosistency and when it finds some
updates the database? (ie compares the structure of the table in the
database to some "template" stored in the application or as
datafiles/scripts)

Or do you use some "version" system where the application instead of
looking for inconsistency just look at the version number of the
database, compares it to some internal version, and updates the database
accordingly? (ie manually creating all the needed updatescripts that
needs to run the application and have the application select between these)

Or perhaps you do this update of the database manually when intalling a
new version?

For me, version 1 would be preferable, but unfourtunally this does not
work in every scenario, but i guess that it normally could take care of
about 90% off all my changes... the second system would be able to take
care of all type of changes, but it requires more labour...

so, how do you all manage this?

/Christian Andersson