> > Hi, I'm getting the same error message. mysql here is in /etc/rc.d/init.d,
> > don't ask me why, I'm new to this things.

That's because the rpm installation puts there a file "mysql" to be
easier to configure starting services....
If you want mysql to start everytime your machine reboots, have a look
at, for example "chkconfig" command or:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Automatic_start.html

If you have /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql i guess you can try the following:

First be shure that mysqld is running (with "ps auxw | grep mysql" or
"netstat -ta | grep mysql"...). You may also stop the server with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql stop

Start the server:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start

If it gives errors about creating/writing mysql.sock, check the
permissions/ownership of directory /var/lib/mysql.. Check the manual for
the right permissions...

Good luck,

--
Diana Soares