In my Linux machine the MySQL 3.x is running (installed via RPM,
using /var/lib/mysql/mysql.soc). I am trying to login using
following command but get the error as followed.

[tom@host01 ~]$ mysql -u root test
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Then I tried using -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql.soc and it worked. My
main objective is to access the database via Java. When I try to
get the connection I get the error as 'Access denied ....' > I
suspect that the socket information need to be provided somewhere
in the "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydb".

How to resolve this problem?