Subject: FBSD/Mysql hanging every 6-8hrs
From: Crescent Kao
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 10:03:58 +0000

referred me here in hopes that I can find some solutions to our fairly
unique situation. I’m pretty new to FBSD and Mysql so please bare with me.

   I am the part owner of a pretty large website – www.midnitechallenge.com
– our current member base is around 30,000 and about 400-500 concurrent
players are online during peak hours, and anywhere from 100-200 during
off-peak. We are running the current system:

Dual P3 2.1gig

2gig RAM

2 x 18gig SCSI drives

FBSD-stable 4.2.3

Mysql 3.23.54a

Innodb database – for row level locking (no transactions are actually being
used though)

The site relies heavily on PHP/mysql and is currently hitting an average of
about 400 queries/sec during peak times. Load averages are around 1.5  with
60-75% CPU usage devoted to mysqld.

The problem we are experiencing is that every 6-8hours, mysqld will suddenly
ramp from 60-75% CPU usage to 99.02% within around 20-30secs and then hang.
The only way to fix it is the kill -9 the process. Then everything will be
fine and dandy for another 6-8hours.. its pretty much like clock work. I am
by no means familiar enough with FSB or Mysql to tweak the settings or
configs nor diagnose the cause of the problem, although I have played with
certain settings in my.cnf and httpd.conf with no success.

I’ve noticed in the .err file, there are a lot of the strange entries right
before mysqld restarts on its own, or hangs. You can view a recent err file
here:

www.midnitechallenge.com/temp/mysql-error.err

I’ve actually been at the console and witnessed mysqld hang a few times and
it would happen just as I described. I’ve found no mention of this kind of
symptom on any websites and am at a complete loss as to how to resolve this.
A few people have suggested that it may be a query that is hanging it, but I
do not know how to confirm this. Another has suggested that this is an
Innodb problem and I feel that this may be true, since prior to switching
the tables over to Innodb, we didn’t experience this symptom. What gets me,
is that everywhere I’ve read and everyone I’ve talked to, the system we are
running should have no problems at all handling the load that we currently
have, yet the numbers that we see and cpu usage don’t seem to support this –
so the conclusion is that something isn’t right.

I’ve read a few things on http://jeremy.zawodny.com and have tried changing
some of the configs but haven’t had any success. One thing I’m thinking of
trying is installing Linux Threads to see if this resolves the issues, but
have not proceeded to do so since there seems to be new problems that may be
introduced as mentioned on Jeremy’s site..

I’m not sure what other information I can offer that may be of assistance –
but any suggestions on how we can resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Crescent Kao

Director of Marketing and Sales

www.corruptinteractive.com

PS- I just subscribed to the list and didn’t get a confirmation or anything
so, not sure if I will receive and replies.