Thank you.

I have set up the grant tables though but it still doesn’t work. I
thought it might be because the daemon isn’t been run as mysql user, but
when I try and do :

/usr/bin/safe_mysqld user=mysql &

like it says in the manual, I get an entry in the log file saying that
there are too many parameters and the daemon is stopped...

The nightmare goes on...

Paul,

> I have the same problem, the file does exist and the ownership is the
> mysql user, but the entry in the log file still says it cant find this
> file when starting mysql daemon.

And the manual said: "If you don't set up the grant tables, the
following error will appear in the log file when you start the server:
mysqld: Can't find file: 'host.frm'".

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Post-installation.html

Regards,
--