----- Original Message -----
From: Paul DuBois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: boclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: Using SET in the INSERT statement

: At 14:19 +1000 2/5/03, boclair wrote:
: >I notice some of my colleagues using SET in INSERT statements.
: >
: >DuBois makes a short reference on  p565, DoorStop1.
:
: The reference is short because there isn't much to say about it. :-)
: The SET clause consists of col_name=value assignments, separated
: by comma if there is more than one assignment.  That's all.
:
: Other examples are on pp 40-41 (Doorstop I) or p48 (Doorstop II).
:
I know this is so basic that I should understand, but in that case (p40)
 INSERT INTO member SET last_name='Stein' ,first_name='Waldo';
why not use that form always instead of (also p40)
INSERT INTO member (last_name,first_name) VALUES('Stein' , 'Waldo');

On the surface it seems a simpler syntax and is similar, in this
respect, to the syntax for UPDATE.

I see that http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/INSERT.html provides that SET is
an alternative to the VALUES syntax but the explanation that follows,
apart from being a model of simplicity, only mentions the use of SET in
relation to unique columns.

BTW, many thanks for your excellent book.  Invaluable (and it opens
flat)

Louise