Below is a little PHP code snippet which works great(returns results quickly)
for single
queries. However when I put this code into a loop incrementing the order_index
and line,
my application can take as long as 2 minutes to return results. Is there any
other way
to execute this series of queries more effeciently to come up with
$order_line_due?

The only steps I have taken so far to decrease query time was to verify that
there were
indexes set on the "order_index" and "line" fields in each table queried.

        mysql_select_db("orders");

        $query  = "select order_quantity ";
        $query .= "from order_lines where (order_index = '$order_index')";
        $query .= "and (line = $line)";
        @extract(mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query)));

        $linequery  = "select sum(quantity) as already_received ";
        $linequery .= " from receiving_lines ";
        $linequery .= " where ( order_index = '$order_index' ) ";
        $linequery .= " and    ( line = $line ) ";
        @extract(mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($linequery)));

        $linequery  = "select sum(quantity) as adjust_receive ";
        $linequery .= " from receiving_line_adjustments ";
        $linequery .= " where ( order_index = '$order_index' ) ";
        $linequery .= " and    ( line = $line ) ";
        @extract(mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($linequery)));

          $order_line_due = $order_quantity - $already_received + adjust_receive;

I hope the PHP code is not to hard for the MySQL gurus to decipher in order to
help!

James E Hicks III
Noland Company
2700 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23607
757-928-9000 ext 435
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For the filter (mysql MySQL SQL table row insert select delete)