Hi. I'm adding a fulltext index to two fields in a large (2300MB) table.

The index created the first 200MB or so of data pretty quickly (in a couple of hours), but progress from there has been very slow.

After 48 hours the temporary table is only 640MB / 2300MB original table size.

I've changed myisam_sort_buffer to 128M in the hopes that that may have sped things up, but to no avail.

Does anyone have a) an explanation for why the index creation seems to go slower and slower the more rows there are or b) any ideas on how to sped up the index creation.

Regards, Peter Bryant

(sql)