: Is there a safe way to allow ordinary users, who should
    : not have MySQL root privileges, to create databases using
    : any name they choose? It seems to me that I would need to
    : use "GRANT ALL ON *.* TO user WITH GRANT OPTION". This
    : would be dangerous because of the other user's databases
    : and the mysql database itself. All the reference books I
    : have talk about the GRANT CREATE privilege with regard to
    : tables, not databases.

Instead, allow users to create database through a gateway, such
as CGI or some PHP application. Thus you will not have to
do "GRANT ALL ON *.*". CGI aplication will connect to mysql server
with a specific account priveleged only to CREATE accounts and will
create requested database and grants permissions accordingly.

sherzod