But you're not using the word search engine, which would be the full text index. I'm not sure what you mean by "morphology". MySQL 4 full text searches support a lot of things, including using * as the truncation operator.

Aside from that, perhaps it's the speed of your processor that bottlenecking you. I know Xeon is a server chip, but in your case Mhz might be the best way to go since you are only doing one thing.