Dan --

...and then Dan Tappin said...
%
% Does any one have a suggestion on running a daily / weekly e-mail
% notification based on results from a MySQL query?
%
% I have a feeling that I will get a few 'buy a PERL book' suggestions
% which is fine but I am wondering if there is another method.  The same
% server is running Apache and PHP.  Could I run this from the command
% line using PHP?

Sure, if you have the php CLI binary built.  If

  which php

tells you something like

  /usr/bin/php

then you're in.  Any script you write that would work from a web page
would work from the command line.

In either cae, all you need to write is a script that connects to the DB
server and does a SELECT against your parameters and then generates the
list for which you must get email addresses to send messages, and then
shoot off some email.  Shouldn't be too tough.

%
% In the end I would just like a simple CRON script that runs each day to
% send the notifications.

Yep.  Sounds good.

%
% Any first thoughts?

Buy a perl book ;-)  It would be well worth it anyway.

%
% Thanks,
%
% Dan

HTH & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"