On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:22:27AM +0200, Rob wrote:
> Thanks
>
> It would appear that MySql does table locking.  Then I would like to
> ask the following:

  Hi Rob,

  I think that you missed some important details.

  Taken from the manual:
  "MySQL only supports table locking for ISAM/MyISAM and HEAP tables,
  page-level locking for BDB tables and row-level locking for InnoDB
  tables. See section 5.3.1 How MySQL Locks Tables"

> Does anyone have any suggestions here??

  - Ensure that the MyISAM tables are not fragmented. If a MyISAM table
        is not fragmented, then INSERT and SELECT queries can run
        concurrently without locking.

  - Switch to the InnoDB table type - it uses multi-versioning and fine
        grained locking to improve concurrency.

  - Use replication to divide the reads and write between two servers
        and reduce the lock contention.

Cheers!
--
Zak Greant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>