Hi,
If you only want to move database "Protein" (and not all your databses)
you can use symbolic links to do that.
You can move your database to the desired path (external drive) and
create a symbolic link in /var/lib/mysql/ to it like:
localhost:/var/lib/mysql#  ln -s /desired_path/Protein Protein
Remember that /desired_path/Protein should be owned by "mysql" user..

Otherwise, if you want to move all databases, change the datadir of
mysqld. You can do that starting mysqld with --datadir=desired_path or
add datadir=desired_path to your /etc/my.cnf file in the [mysqld]
section.

See:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Configuring_MySQL.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Symbolic_links.html

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 18:44, Liu, Zhu wrote:
> Hi, everybody, I have installed the mysql server in /var/lib/mysql and
> created my database "Protein" under the this path as required in mysql
and linux(the operationg system is linux). But the problem is the space
for /var is not enough, there exists an exteral driver to try to solve
this problem.  My question is how to move my database "Protein" into the
exteral driver so I later can use the database in external driver
instead of current database? Do I need change mysql server from
/var/lib/mysql to new external drive? Any other thing I need care about?
I look at the command mysqlhotcopy which only can copy existing database
for backup purpose not for working database? Anybody know how to do it?
Thanks a lot!

--
Diana Soares