Hello,

I'm new to MySQL and to linux. I'm using an Omnibook XE3 with RAM 254 on SuSE linux
8.1.
In one of the slots of a Texas instrument pcmcia I have a Xircom PC card modem 56K.
During startup this has to be disconnected when linux is "starting hardware scan on
boot"
- but otherwise works OK.

I have loaded MySQL 3.23.55 as an RPM for i386 an this works OK and I
logout and login as another user without problems
### but when the computer is shutdown
and restarted it appears as if the mysql.sock disappears.

Or am I unable to start the "mysql server"????

When I try the comand mysql etc i get

Error 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I have tried to stick the socket with
shell> chmod +t /var/lib/mysql
and
shell> ls -ld /var/lib/mysql
confirmes the last permission to t (as suggested onpage 724 in the ref manual).

I have also made a binary installation
mysql-3.23.55-pc-linux-i686 or something
with pretty much the same result.

In essens:

I lose mysql.sock when the computer is restarted

or

I'm unable to start the msql server and "reestablish" the msql.sock  after reboot

and

Before I restart the computer MySQL works very OK both with rpm install and binary
install

What to do?
What do I do wrong?

Fredrik Lundgren