Hi,

  I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting replication working.

Both slave and master are 4.0.10-gamma

If I install fresh copies on two clean machines, and follow the
instructions in manual.txt, everything works fine.

The problem is that I need to do this in a production environment,
so I can't quite follow the instructions.

I've tried using LOAD DATA FROM MASTER, but this aborts and
the logfile shows a ER_NET_MASTER_READ has occurred in the middle of
the third table.

So, I removed the mysql data directory on the slave, and completely
re-installed and re-populated it (just to be sure I had a clean start).
Then tried again by taking a snapshot - Just one database to start with.

I then tried a CHANGE MASTER TO ...
and SLAVE START

This now fails with:
030218 14:21:53  Error updating slave list: Query error

It seems that replication is trying to do a "SHOW SLAVE HOSTS".
I assume that this is running on the master, so I tried to login
to the master by hand and run it to see what the error is.
I get the error:
ERROR 1227: Access denied. You need the REPLICATION SLAVE privilege for this operation

I've tried setting the grants again, but it doesn't seem to make any difference:
mysql> GRANT REPLICATION SLAVE,RELOAD,SUPER ON *.* TO myuser@myhost IDENTIFIED BY
'mypass'

mysql> show grants for myuser@myhost;

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+