Thank you very much. That information is very helpful as I am just starting to use/learn MySQL.

Raju Ganapathiraju

From: "Roger Baklund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: "Ayyaparaju Ganapathiraju" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to create a schema
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:32:32 +0100

* Ayyaparaju Ganapathiraju
> 1). Is there an equivalent to creating a schema in MySQL. I would like to
> create tables in multiple schemas within the same database. Some of the
> tables will have foregign keys across schemas.

No, there is no consept of 'schema' in mysql, other than the implicit
'schema' resulting from the existing table definitions in a database.

> I'm aware that I can create multiple databases and switch between
> databases
> using "use <database name>".

Yes, and you can also use multiple databases in the same sql statement,
using the database.table and database.table.column syntax:

select db1.table1.col1,db2.table2.col2
from db1.table1,db2.table2
where db1.table1.id = db2.table2.id

> 2). How can I edit a statement within mysql. Suppose if I make a
> typo in a large select statement, can I go into an editor and fix
> it, then execute it from the buffer.

If you have a new version of mysql, see the standard client \e command.

It is mentioned here, but I have not found any further documentation:

The \e command is not available in earlier versions of mysql, but I did not
find any mention of it in the change history, so I don't know when it became
available. Somewhere between versions 3.23.30 and 3.23.55.

I normally use a text editor, and then either copy&paste my statements
directly into the mysql client, or I execute it from a command line with:

mysql dbname < script.sql

(or "mysql -h host -u usrname -p dbname < script.sql")

HTH,

--
Roger