Hi!

What to choose - InterBase/FireBird or MySQL - depends on the tasks you are
going to solve with your SQL server. InterBase/FireBird is intended for
managing a quite large and complicate databases, where a lot of business
rules should be realized and stored in common database instead of being
realized in each client application separately, where referential integrity
plays a significant role, where subselects are often used, and so on. For
these purposes InterBase/FireBird provides wide variety of facilities:
triggers, stored procedures, exceptions, checks and foreign keys, and so on.
But if you need to develop a small database and do it quickly and easily -
than you better do it with MySQL. Of course, MySQL is the best solution for
web development and site management - because speed becomes one of the main
factors here, and because it works very well with PHP.

BTW, FireBird costs the same as MySQL and is distributed under open source
license.
http://www.firebirdsql.org/

And finally I would like to note that we like both of these servers and have
already developed administration and development tools for MySQL,
InterBase/FireBird and even PostgreSQL. :)
http://www.sqlmanager.net

Best regards,
Vadim Vinokur
EMS HiTech