Well then you are looking to do a left join.

SELECT table1.id, table2.coupon FROM table1 LEFT JOIN table2 ON
table1.id=table2.person_id;

In your example, the WHERE is not only a join condition, but also a filter. It gives you exactly what you asked for, only those records whose id's match. A left join tells it to use all of the records in the "left" and join the other table into it. You can still add a where clause to filter the record if you like.