Jeff Mao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Greetings all,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place to ask this,...I use the following
> script on an OS X server to backup my mysql databases:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
> DATE=`/bin/date +%Y%m%d"_"%H%M%S`;
> cd /Users/usernmae/Documents;
> /usr/bin/mysqldump -hhost -uusername -ppassword --all-databases >
> full_dump_$DATE.sql;
> exit
>
> The script runs on from the crontab each morning at 3:30 am.  Simple
> question, I got the script from someone else, so I'm not too savvy
> with scripting.  What can I add to the script so that it automatically
> erases backups that are x weeks or days old?

Probalbly lots of ways:) You could use find to løoace files older than
some date, and erase them. Or if one week is god for you you could
change your script to do something like this:

/usr/bin/mysqldump -hhost -uusername -ppassword --all-databases >
`date +%V`/full_dump.sql;

That will give you 7 directories, one for each weekday, with a dump
each.

-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systemkonsulent | Systems consultant             www.linpro.no