Your problems are really very common when switching from MS to Linux. Don't
worry, as your experience with Linux grow all these problem will gone.

First of all, MySQL database work in a Client/Server fashion. It means that
you need to get the server up and running. To doing that, you can type the
following command

/etc/init.d/mysqld restart

Don't panic if you see 'fail' for stopping the mysql service. It just tell
you that mysqld not already started.

You may also use the command 'setup' -> Services to make mysqld auto. start
when linux start.

After that you can use the 'mysql' command to connect to the database. For a
new setup you may use

mysql -u root

You may refer to the manual after these steps.

Best regards,

KH

> I have installed mysql form the rpm files that are on rpm finder,
>  acording to the installation it is working, and if I check with
> redhat-config-services it is running, how do I get mysql on the path
> so I can call mysql from any where? btw after checking my pc well I
> am too new to linux so sorry if the question is not relevant but
> where is mysql executable file? I know the server is running but
> just beause I see it running on redhat-config-services but I do not
> know where are the files.. acording to mysql manual there is a test
> database.. where? cheers

Yours,
KH Chiu
C&A Computer Consultants Ltd.