From: Richard Forgo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 3:21 PM
To: 'MySQL Mailing List'
Subject: case expression

Hello all ... be gentle, I'm new at this:

I've got a simple case query.  One works (the top one), but when I try
to add additional columns to the query it fails.  I reckon it's a pretty
simple mistake I'm making, but I don't know what.  Any help is
appreciated.

This works ...

SELECT  CASE WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH(system) > 65 then
  CONCAT(LEFT(system, 60), " ...")
ELSE
system END

This doesn't ...

SELECT  CASE WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH(system) > 65 then
  CONCAT(LEFT(system, 60), " ..."), wsh_year, id
ELSE
  system, wsh_year, id END
FROM  wsh

Maybe an IF statement would work better here?

Rik Forgo
JIST3
Army Test, Training and Technology Integration Office (T3I)
Diverse Technologies Corp.
(c) 443.463.8571
(h) 410.859.8474