try using a double slash "\\" - the first one acts as the escape character.
also works for the '

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 6:52 AM
Subject: Help with a putting a slash into a record in mysql...

I have mysql installed on Red Hat 7.3. I have created a table like the
example below:

create table test(f1 char(30), f2 char(30))

Here is my problem I am trying to update this table with this:

update test set f2 = 'c:\temp' where f1 = 'location'

There is already a record with location in f1, but the problem seems to
be that mysql doesn't like the \ in c:\temp

Is there something in mysql that doesn't allow you to put a slash in a
record??? All of the other database I have worked with don't have this
issue..

Any help would be appreciated....