Daniel -

This might be a long shot, but since I've actually run into this problem
before, here goes:

Check your partitions.  I had a server on which this very thing happened, and
it turned out there were overlapping partitions.  This was all fine and dandy
until data was written to those overlapping areas, and created BIG problems
when fsck was run.  It sounds like your server might have gone down "hard"
without a proper shut down, and then run fsck upon startup.  Check your boot
logs.

It is also possible that there was severe corruption on the filesystem as a
result of the system going down hard, and fsck did a "best guess" fix, which
blew away your data.

I may be totally off base, but your symptoms at least match what mine were.

Hope that helps.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks