<snip>
Maybe this could help?

Try changing the name of the index on the second table you 've created
</snip>

Thanks for the idea, but I think I've discovered the problem.  Perhaps I
chose my search phrase a little TOO well.  It seems the problem occurs
because of the 50% restriction for fulltext searching. From the manual...
"The search for the word MySQL produces no results in the above example,
because that word is present in more than half the rows. As such, it is
effectively treated as a stopword (that is, a word with zero semantic
value)."
I have tried the fulltext searching on the offending tables again, but have
used "IN BOOLEAN MODE" (which removes the 50% restriction) in the 4.0.9
server.  Doing this returns results as expected.

Duncan