These are very subjective questions and I know there is no hard answer,
I'm just seeking opinions from the community to get an idea to see if
these are worth testing.

1. Dedicated DB server vs clustered DB/WWW servers.

setup a:
2 servers running both WWW and DB.  Each server queries it's local
database which is replicated from a master.

setup b:
1 DB server and 1 WWW server. The DB server only serves remote queries
for the WWW server.

The biggest variable is the CPU cycles that the WWW application uses.
Lets say it's a PHP application that uses a lot of caching, (php-accel,
pear_db) as a rough idea.

Which to you think will out preform the other?

2. Availability

I have a large table with fulltext indices and it takes near 8 hours to
repair it if it gets corrupted. And I need to be able to repair it while
still serving in a read only mode.

If I go with the one dedicated DB server I need to find a way to repair
tables while still serving. With the distributed schema I can take down
the master DB/WWW server and repair it while the others are serving,
then when it's repaired I can replicate the DB to the mirrors if they
were corrupt as well.  The only limiting function is that the databases
were 'read only' during the repair, but that's fine in my environment,
the data only changes at specified times.

With only 1 DB server I was trying to find a way to accomplish this. And
I wonder if running a second instance of mysql on the same server and
replicating the data to that instance would work.

This would allow me to serve off the backup (read only) instance while I
take down the primary instance and repair the data, most likely by NFS
mounting the data files on another machine and using it's CPU cycles to
repair the data.

I seek your opinion of that solution.

You may ask why on earth would I want to go from multiple db servers to
1 db server, the reason is that I'm evaluating managed hosting and there
are tons of benefits, the one of the few drawbacks is that hardware is
expensive so I need to utilize each machine to it's fullest capacity.

I anxiously await your responses.

--
Jeff Bearer, RHCE
Webmaster, PittsburghLIVE.com