Neil,

> Hi! I've just started working in Linux, but I'd like to know which
> database is better to use, MySQL or PostgreSQL. Which one would be
> better in the long run?

I guess about anyone on this list will scream "Postgre is better", but
let me make an exception.

Some people consider Postgre the "Open Source Oracle" because it has
all those features people expect a DBMS to have when they migrate from
something like Oracle or MS SQL Server. If you need all those
features, like stored procedures and views, and you need them _now_,
Postgre will certainly be the better choice.

If your primary concerns are speed, stability, scalability, and ease
of use, you probably will be better off with MySQL. (I'm sure I forgot
to mention at least 100 important things in this discussion, and a
cross-post to the Postgre list would probably end up in a flame war ;)

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>