I have a client word database and I am attempting to create a database with
the results from a select that splits the description field based on the
spaces.

When just executing the select command, the output is correct.  When using
the create command with the select command, apparently the IF statement
result (0/1) is being placed into the field instead of the word.

My Mysql version is: mysql  Ver 12.12 Distrib 4.0.3-beta, for pc-linux-gnu
(i686)

clientid        description
--------        -----------------
client1 chair couch piano
client2 bed dresser
client3 chair
client4 table stove couch

drop table if exists wordsplit;

####create table wordsplit

select clientid,
if(locate(' ',description)=0,trim(substring(description,1)),
        trim(substring(description,1,locate(' ',description)))) as firstword,
if(locate(' ',trim(substring(description,locate(' ',description))))=0,
        substring(trim(substring(description,locate(' ',description))),1),
        substring(trim(substring(description,locate(' ',description))),1,
        locate(' ',trim(substring(description,locate(' ',description)))))) as
secondword,
(trim(substring(ltrim(substring(description,locate(' ',description))),
    locate(' ',ltrim(substring(description,locate(' ',description))))))) as
thirdword
from clientword order by clientid;

Any help appreciated

Scotty