quoted from mysql-4.1/libmysql/libmysql.c
=============
static ulong
mysql_sub_escape_string(CHARSET_INFO *charset_info, char *to,
const char *from, ulong length)
{
const char *to_start=to;
const char *end;
#ifdef USE_MB
my_bool use_mb_flag=use_mb(charset_info);
#endif
for (end=from+length; from != end ; from++)
{
#ifdef USE_MB
int l;
if (use_mb_flag && (l = my_ismbchar(charset_info, from, end)))
{
while (l--)
*to++ = *from++;
from--;
continue;
}
#endif
notice that USE_MB(it exists in older version, all mysql 4.x)
it use connection CHARSET to escape string differently
but it is said mysql-4.1 can have different charset on column,table,database
how can the client know which table it's querying on?

i guess this is why it failed to insert blob data to GBK mysql servers.
so do anyone use multibyte mysql server?
do mysql developers tested insert blob data under UTF-8 Mysql server?