I am  attempting to get  mysql-3.23.38-win on a Windows 98 SE box. The
mysql-3.23.38-win.zip install wizard allowed me to install to "D:\MYSQL"

I have tweaked the my.cfg file as follows:

# Example mysql config file.
# Copy this file to c:\my.cnf to set global options
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run the program with --help to get a list of available options

# This will be passed to all mysql clients
[client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL

# Here is entries for some specific programs
# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
default-character-set=latin1
set-variable = key_buffer=16M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable = thread_stack=128K
set-variable = flush_time=1800

# Uncomment the following row if you move the MySQL distribution to another
# location
#basedir =

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
basedir = d:/mysql
datadir= d:/mysql/data

[mysqld]
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata:30M
innodb_data_home_dir=\mysql\data

[isamchk]
set-variable= key=16M

[client_fltk]
#help_file= c:\mysql\sql_client\MySQL.help
#client_file= c:\mysql\MySQL.options
history_length=20
database = test
queries_root= d:\mysql\queries
last_database_file= d:\mysql\lastdb
------------------

When mySQL is launched via D:\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --basedir D:\mysql

I get the following:

Innobase: Assertion failure in thread 4225946759 in file
M:\mysql-3.23\innobase
os\os0file.c line 187
Innobase: we intentionally generate a memory trap.
Innobase: Send a bug report to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
030302 18:45:05  D:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLD.EXE: Got signal 11. Aborting!

030302 18:45:05  Aborting

InnoDB: Warning: shutting down not properly started database
030302 18:45:05  D:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLD.EXE: Shutdown Complete

Sincerely,

Keith E.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]