I found some stuff in the mySql manual about setting columns as fulltext
indexes for fulltext searches and the syntax is

 WHERE MATCH (column names...) AGAINST (the search stuff)

So I went in and did an alter table statement to set my four search columns
to be in a fulltext index.

So here's the freaky thing ... I create this hideous looking select
statement to grab the right stuff out of the database (all the stuff ending
in _int and $searchwords are the variables from the search form that the
user fills out to pick the designs they want to see)

 $query = "SELECT * FROM designs, appliquetable, puffyfoamtable
            WHERE designs.puffyfoam = puffyfoamtable.puffyfoam
            AND designs.applique = appliquetable.applique
            AND designs.applique=$applique_int
            AND designs.puffyfoam=$pfoam_int
            AND designs.largesize <= $largesize_int
            AND designs.smallsize <= $smallsize_int
            AND designs.availablefiles LIKE "%$file_int%"
            AND MATCH(designname,designcomments,catcode,textsearch)
            AGAINST ($searchwords)";
     $result = mysql_query($query)
          or die ("Couldn't execute query A<2 P<2.");

And I get the "Couldn't execute query A<2 P<2." Error... but when I copy the
statement into phpMyAdmin SQL screen and put values in the spots like below,
it actually finds the one record in the database that matches:

SELECT  *  FROM designs, appliquetable, puffyfoamtable
WHERE designs.puffyfoam = puffyfoamtable.puffyfoam
AND designs.applique = appliquetable.applique
AND designs.applique = 0
AND designs.puffyfoam = 0
AND designs.largesize <= 4.00
AND designs.smallsize <= 4.00
AND designs.availablefiles LIKE  "%SEW%"
AND  MATCH ( designname, designcomments, catcode, textsearch) AGAINST
('sports')

It probably something stupid like quotes or something ... I'm gonna go back
and double-check those variables from the search form ... Anybody out there
see what I missed? :)

RENEE :)

Renee Toth
Stitchin' Up A Storm