I want to add transaction support to an existing database running
on mysql 3.23.49-3 distributed with Red Hat 7.3.

After browsing through the Mysql and the Innodb documentation, it appears
that
I have the following options:

1) Configure mysql 3.23.49-3 to support innodb tables. Since the
have_innodb variable displays as "disabled", not "no", it should be possible
in theory.

After some experimenting, I did succeed in creating and using an innodb
table but at the expense of the server sometimes refusing to stop.
I had just added to my.cnf:

innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:30M.

2) Install the server from the "Max" package and configure to activate
Innodb tables.
This appears to be the recommended option in the documentation.

Since the "Max" RPM for 3.23.49-3 is nowhere to be found, this implies
installing the latest binaries (currently 3.23.55).
I experimented with this option and after the installation, I had to create
"my.cnf" file which 3.23.55 does not install by default. I succeeded
in creating a innodb table. So far so good.

3)Upgrade to 4.011 which has innodb in the standard binaries.
This is even easier as the default configuration enables innodb tables,
but this version is still gamma.

Can option 1) work ?
If not, should I go with option 2) or option 3) ?

Regards,

François Roussel