From: Jakob Vedel Adeltoft [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 6:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Looping through parent and childs

I'm new to mySQL and would like to know how do a SELECT where I get all child records
whose root parent=1

Here's my table (project_group_list):
group_id        parent_group_id
        1               0
        2               0
        3               1
        4               3
        5               4
        6               4

This is how my output should be:
                1
             /
            3
           /
          4
         / \
        5   6

I was thinking of something like this:
SELECT PGL1.project_group_id, PGL1.ref_parent_project_group_id
FROM project_group_list PGL1
JOIN project_group_list PGL2 ON PGL1.group_id = PGL2.parent_group_id
WHERE PGL1.group_id = 1

The reason for my subject contain "looping" is because I'm also interested in if mySQL
have any way of looping SQL queries? Below query is taken from MS-SQL newsgroup:
 WHILE @@ROWCOUNT>0 BEGIN
        INSERT INTO [table]
                SELECT FROM [table]
        etc. etc.