Two solutions to your problem:

table full errors: check the 'AVG_ROW_LENGTH' and 'MAX_ROWS' option
for create and alter table. You can change these on the fly using 'alter
table', but it will take quite a time for a table your size (few hours-1 day
depending on machine).

The exact values for these parameters are not all that important. just make
it large enough. Usually, you run into this limit around 4 Gig Byte, but
maybe you already set these parameters and need to increase them. Check
'show table status' to verify the current value.

To reduce the size of you index file: try a 'repair table'. The 'alter table'
will take care of it too. You can also drop and recreate this index.

Side note: look at merge tables... they look like a pain at first, but
once you get used to it they are quite handy for tables your size.