Filter-fodder: mysql, query

Ah.  Sorry about that.

Given a query:
"SELECT academic_institutions.name,
        academic_institutions.town, countries.abbrv,
        inst_types.name, academic_institutions.acinstid
 FROM academic_institutions, inst_types
 LEFT JOIN countries ON academic_institutions.cykey = countries.cyid
 WHERE  academic_institutions.itkey = inst_types.itid
 ORDER BY academic_institutions.name DESC

EXPLAIN SELECT produces:
+-------------------------+--------+------------------+-----------+
| table                        | type     | possible_keys   | key         |
+-------------------------+--------+------------------+------------+
| academic_institutions | ALL     | NULL              | NULL        |
| inst_types                 | eq_ref  | PRIMARY        | PRIMARY |
| countries                  | eq_ref  | PRIMARY        | PRIMARY |
+------------------------+---------+--------------------+---------+
+---------+--------------------------------+------+---------------+
| key_len | ref                                    | rows | Extra            |
+---------+--------------------------------+------+---------------+
|    NULL | NULL                                | 6682  | Using filesort |
|       2    | academic_institutions.itkey   |    1    |                   |
|       2    | academic_institutions.cykey |    1    |                   |

Is there any way of creating a sorted index on
academic_institutions.name DESC
in order to avoid using filesort?
And some of the more complex queries have "Using temporary" as well as "Using
filesort".

Donna

Maybe none of understand what your question means?
I know I don't.