/var/lib/mysql/ i think that path needs to writable 777 so it can write the
socket to it

-----Original Message-----
From: Harish B M (RBIN/ECM2) * [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 7:51 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: Pemmaiah B D (RBIN/ECM2) *
Subject: Error while starting mysqld ....

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install MySQL version 3.23 database server (Downloaded from
Internet) on a Intel Pentium III machine installed with SuSE Linux 8.0
Professional. While starting the mysqld daemon, it is giving the following
Error.

> Can't connect to the local MySQL server through socket
/usr/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

> Kindly let me know what has gone wrong and how to overcome it.

The installation Procedure followed is:
-----------------------------------

Created a group mysql
Created a user with mysql as ID
# cd /usr/local
# ln -s /usr/local/mysql-max-3.23.55-pc-linux-i686 mysql
# cd mysql

# scripts/install_mysql_db

When the above script is executed, the output is

Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
030306 13:49:36  ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h emclinuxserver  password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd . ; ./bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

# chown -R root .
# chown -R mysql data
# chgrp -R mysql .
# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

Then it is giving the following message

mysqld Started
Can't start Server: Bind on Unix socket: Permission Denied
Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?

Aborting

/usr/sbin/mysqld : SHutsown Complete

mysqld ended

I donot have any other mysqld running, I don't understand why the daemon
can't be started. I request you all to let me know what had gone wrong and
how can I start the mysqld daemon.