Hello,

On a P4-2.6Ghz, 1Gb mem server of ours, mysql keeps getting slower and slower because the database gets bigger and bigger.
At the moment the database is 5.5Gb big, the biggest table being 1.1Gb.

'top' shows that mysqld is using 264M of memory. So I presume the rest is used for disk caching. How do I know for sure that mysql is using the rest of the memory, or how do I get mysql to use it all?

Would an extra gig of memory help mysql, or linux, to be faster? Will MySQL put it's tables in the extra memory so it won't have to read from disk anymore?

Our keycache hitrate is at 99.6% so I think the key_buffer_size is big enough, but would increasing this setting help? We experimented with doubling this buffer, but mysql got slower from it.

Or could someone have a look at our my.cnf, and see if anything could be better?
Here's my.cnf:

port = 3306

socket = /tmp/mysql.sock

set-variable = key_buffer_size = 256M

set-variable = max_allowed_packet = 1M

#set-variable = thread_stack = 128K

set-variable = max_connections = 300

#set-variable = query_buffer_size = 4M

set-variable = record_buffer = 32M

#set-variable = record_buffer = 64M

set-variable = record_rnd_buffer = 32M

#set-variable = sort_buffer = 8M

set-variable = sort_buffer = 4M

set-variable = join_buffer = 16M

set-variable = table_cache = 768

What I *really* need to know, is would our server get quicker from installing an extra 1Gb of ram, before we take the chance and purchase the expensive PC800-RIMMS.

Kind regards,
Rick Jansen