From: John Wards [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 6:31 AM
To: William Wang; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: very slow mysql server, help please

On Thursday 06 Mar 2003 3:11 am, William Wang wrote:
> Question 1: Does sleeping processes slow down database server?
Nope, I have had many a discussion whats best to use, pcconect or
normall
connect but have yet to conclude what is better. We feel that pconnect
works
best for us.

> Question 2: Any ideas, why is the database so slow?

We have been having huge problems with mySQL for months now running on
freebsd
so we decided to try using linuxthreads and also upgrade to mysql 4.
This has
done the trick and its actually serving the pages quicker because we
have
turned query caching on.

I would say try installing linuxthreads then recompile your current
version of
mySQL to have linuxthread support. If that doesn't work try upgrading to
4.

HTH

Cheers
John Wards