I'm investigating the feasibility of converting an MS Access
database to
a MySQL based system and could use some advice.

The server side will probably be run on a Linux box and is not a
problem since I
can deal with that easily enough.  The clients will all be win98
based (possibility of
upgrades to winxp in the near future - bleh).  I need a good system
for data entry
and reports, opensource is preferred.  Basically, I'm looking for
something that will
duplicate the functionality of the MS Access macros, menus, forms
and reports
design tools.

Features desired:

1. GUI design tool to create data entry forms and reports for
printing.
2. Macros (or something similar) to tie together queries, forms
and/or reports.
3. Some scripting ability to massage data, if possible.
4. Ability to lock form and report styles so they can't be modified by
users.
5. Ability to limit who can access certain forms and reports.
6. Some data validation capability before sending to mysql would
be desirable
(e.g. field can't be blank or must be a number).
7. Either opensource or very inexpensive (and definitely no
recurring license fees!).
My budget is almost non-existent at the moment.

I've searched all over for some kind of package that could do this,
but the
opensource items didn't seem to be very complete or mature, and
the commercial
packages were outrageously expensive.

If nothing exists that fullfills my needs, I may go with a web based
interface for
data entry (using perl or php), but would still need something to
handle printed
reports.

BTW, consider my wishlist as a good starting point for a new
opensource project if
anyone needs something to sink their teeth into.

Rossz

P.S. If this is the wrong list to ask this question, please direct
me to the correct one.  Thank you.