I am trying to access a MySQL database remotely from the mysql command. I get an error 1130:

ERROR 1130: Host '209-103-193-182.dial-in1.apl.athenet.net' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

I asked the tech support to update the grant tables to change the host for my user to %, but that didn't help. Also, looking at a packet dump, I can see that the username isn't even transmitted(!!!).

If anyone wants to see for themselves, try connecting to the server cosmicsoft.net with username cosmicsoft_net2 and database cosmicsoft_net.

Since this isn't my server, I don't know why this is. Is there some kind of safe mode that the server is in that it blocks all incoming connections without even consulting the user table?

Thanks,

Adam Ernst